IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION!
What a person believes is the foundation for both life and ministry. The following are Christian tenets to which the SMI leadership ascribes. If you disagree with any of these, please explain your differences in the paragraph below.
1. The Bible is the inspired, infallible, inerrant Word of God. (2 Tim. 3:15-17)
2. There is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. (John 10:30)
3. These are central truths of the Christian faith: The deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, His virgin birth, His sinless life, His miracles, His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, His bodily resurrection, His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and His personal return in power and glory. (Jn 1:1-5; Phil. 2:5-11, 1 Cor 15:1-6)
4. Believing in the person and work of Jesus Christ alone results in salvation; Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation. (Titus 3:4-7; Eph. 2:8-9; John 14:6; Acts 4:12)
5. The Holy Spirit's present ministry and indwelling enables the Christian to live in fellowship with God. (Gal. 5:16-23; I John 1:3-4)
The commitment of the Summer Medical Institute is “to serve and not to be served.” Serving in ministry means you sometimes submit to the needs of others even in areas of biblical freedom. Paul is a model of this (Romans 14 – 15:6). Serving with the SMI means you agree to the following:
1. I am willing to set aside personal preferences, habits and schedules to fulfill the ministry of the SMI.
2. I understand there are variations in practice and understanding of Scripture in some areas of Christian living. In serving with SMI, I will abide by the standards of the SMI in all areas including dress, entertainment, activities, etc. This includes a willing agreement to abstain from the use of alcohol, drugs, and tobacco for the duration of the SMI, and being sensitive to cultural, regional, church and SMI expectations and standards. See the enclosed "Policies and Procedures" page for a description of SMI expectations and standards.
3. I will seek to provide excellent medical care and to present Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
I have read the SMI application and accept its provisions and agree to live, work, and serve in accordance with them. I also realize that in accepting a term of volunteer service, it is with the clear understanding that SMI does not assume responsibility for loss of my property, damage to the same, personal harm, or illness that may come to those who travel with me or myself. I, for myself, my heirs, executors, administrators, and assigns, in consideration of my admission to volunteer service and other good and valuable considerations, do hereby release and forever discharge the Summer Medical Institute and Esperanza Health Center from liability for any claim or demand that I or my heirs, executors, administrators, or assigns might otherwise assert upon the basis of any of the foregoing. In volunteering, I recognize that I do not become an agent or employee of SMI in rendering my services and I agree to hold the Summer Medical Institute harmless from any claim that might arise out of any acts performed by me while serving as an SMI volunteer.